Wooden fences are an American staple. They look good around any home and they can be used for almost any purpose. The only downside to a wooden fence is it’s susceptibility to the elements. Sure you can seal them and treat them but eventually they will start to deteriorate and one of the first signs is Algae and Mildew. Taking care of the problem is fairly straightforward but there is definitely an easy way and a hard way.
- Step One: Rent or buy a pressure washer.
- Step Two: Trim or tie back any plants that may be growing near the fence. A pressure washer can do a lot of damage to plants if you aren’t careful to keep them out of the way.
- Step Three: Cover all of the plants with a tarp to protect them. If you do not have a tarp big enough then you can also cover each individual plant with an overturned bucket.
- Step Four: Set the power washer on one of the lower pressure settings. 1500 to 2000 PSI is normally a good range to stay between.
- Step Five: Stand a few feet back from the wood and start spraying the entire length of the fence. It is ok to get a little closer if a spot is heavily soiled but don’t stay in any one spot to long. You need to keep the nozzle moving because the pressure washer can damage wood if left in the same place too long.
- Step Six: If it looks like you have removed most of the algae and mildew then it is ok to go ahead and let the fence dry. If you still have some bad areas then you will have to move on to step Seven.
- Step Seven: Mix up a solution of 2 parts bleach to 1 part water. Then scrub the stained areas of the fence by hand. A scrub brush should do the job, just be careful not to get any bleach on your plants. Once you have finished, give the fence another round of the pressure washer.
The Hard Way
It is almost identical to the easy way except you have to use the solution from Step Seven to hand scrub the entire fence instead of using the pressure washer.
Sometimes a wooden fence is too weathered to be saved with cleaning and repair. If this is the case for your wooden fence call us today 770.506.3222 for a free quote on new fence installation.